Sports massage is based on swedish massage, a technique that uses the application of pressure to manipulate soft tissue.
It involves the use of gliding strokes, kneading movements, circular pressure of the hands and fingers, vibrating movements, bending and stretching.
Ever growing numbers of people are taking part in sport and regular exercise. The intensity and competitiveness of these sports often leave our muscles requiring special training techniques to aid recovery and enhance performance.
Sports massage is becoming more and more recognised as a skill that can help us do this.
Applied by a qualified therapist, massage is the most effective therapy for releasing muscle tension and improving muscle flexibility. Administered on a regular basis it can help to prevent injuries and aid muscle recovery times.
Benefits of sports massage
- Improves muscle flexibility
- Relieves muscle soreness and tension
- Increases blood circulation
- Stimulates a sense of wellbeing and health
- Reduces anxiety and stress levels
- Breaks down scar tissue that affects muscles, tendons and ligaments
- Reduces risk of injury